Qualcomm has unveiled Qualcomm Mesh Networking Platform, a unique combination of technologies upon which original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and broadband carriers to deliver robust and consistent connectivity to smart home devices.
Complementing the platform is the Qualcom Mesh Networking Reference Design, which provides OEMs an accelerated path for development of these next-generation networking products.
The Qualcomm Mesh Networking Platform is based upon the Qualcomm® IPQ40x8/9 network system-on-chip, which is used in nearly every mesh networking product available today. The Qualcomm Mesh Networking Platform includes:
• Qualcomm® Wi-Fi Self-Organizing (SON) feature suite serves as one of the first collection of SON features designed to ensure corner-to-corner Wi-Fi coverage, easy set-up, automatic management and traffic optimization with near-zero user intervention, as well as additional security safeguards.
• Carrier-Grade features are designed to make it easier for carriers to enhance their broadband services with Wi-Fi SON, making application programming interfaces (APIs) available for easier porting of SON on to other silicon platforms.
• Integrated voice capabilities allow consumers to control and interact with devices on their network using their voice. The Qualcomm Mesh Networking Platform can support a built-in microphone array and speaker, voice recognition software, and supports APIs to the most popular cloud-based assistant applications.
• Backhaul flexibility offers a variety of backhaul options that can be used to maximize the performance of mesh networks, including 802.11ac, 802.11ad, 802.11ax, or Powerline technologies.
• Qualcomm IoT Connectivity Feature Suite is designed to help ensure compatible and simultaneous use of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, CSRmesh connectivity, and 802.15.4-based technologies across a network, while also supporting previously announced communication protocols, cloud services and software frameworks.
• Qualcomm Mesh Networking Reference Design offers manufacturers an expedient path for the commercialization of next-generation networking products with cutting-edge features.