Orange and NTT recently signed an agreement up to 2022 to mutualise research findings in several key domains including 5G, network transformation, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), cybersecurity, cloud services, smart cities, sports, tourism and culture.
Both organisations believe that greater alignment and cooperation on R&D topics will accelerate digital and network transformation, and lead to more innovation and the development of new products and services that can be leveraged across the Asia Pacific region covered by NTT, and Orange’s unique geographical reach across Europe and Africa.
The agreement, which may be extended to other areas at a later date, covers cooperation in several areas:
- 5G and Network technology and transformation: 5G, LoRa, SDN (Software Defined Network), NFV (Network Function Virtualisation) Organisation, Software Asset Management, Identity and Access Management, Open Ecosystems (OCP, TIP, OPNFV, OpenStack, Open Air Interface, ORAN) by using open and white box technologies.
- IoT: Connected value chain with massive devices including connected vehicles, cellular drone, machine to machine and smart city automation
- Artificial Intelligence: Use cases for Telco AI, Orange Djingo
- Cybersecurity for Telco, Cloud, Disaster Prevention and Integration Services
- Global and cultural events by using immersive communication technology, Tourism, Corporate Social Responsibility
- Digital lifestyle innovation: healthcare, education, connected devices, AR/VR (Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality), payment/finance, carrier billing and consumer experience.