Video traffic is taking up almost 58% of the total downstream volume of traffic on the internet and Netflix alone contributes 15%, according to a newly released report by Sandvine.
Sandvine's Global Internet Phenomena Report is based on the Company's installed base of over 2.1B subscribers worldwide across over 150 Tier 1 and Tier 2 fixed, mobile, WiFi, and satellite operators. This edition of the report reports on total volume of traffic for over 5300 distinct application signatures that are part of the Sandvine solutions, and highlights the trends that are driving bandwidth consumption worldwide.
Some highlights from this edition of the report include:
- More than 50% of internet traffic is encrypted, and TLS 1.3 adoption is growing.
- Gaming is becoming a significant force in traffic volume as gaming downloads, Twitch streaming, and professional gaming go mainstream.
- BitTorrent is almost 22% of total upstream volume of traffic, and over 31% in EMEA alone.
- Alphabet/Google applications make up over 40% of the total internet connections in APAC.
- Spotlights on the traffic share leaders for video, social networking, messaging, audio streaming, and gaming.